Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Redoing My Childhood Kitchen

Kitchen Dinette Before
























 

Kitchen Dinette After




















 

Remake of 1930s and 1970s Cabinets 

1929 Roper Gas Stove

Blackboard and Shelf as Backdrop


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(before)























 

 

Removal of Desk and Shelf, 

Hutch Made From 1930s Original 

Kitchen Cabinet Pieces















































The Process












 

More Pictures




















 (light fixture made from scraped remains of Ivy vines from other house)
































 

 

 

 

 

 

How the Metal Edge of Counter Was Achieved

 

(wood edge is the top of Wasatch Ward Church Bench)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tape Measure, Numbers and Lines Removed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Layers of Floor and Obnoxious Adhesive Removed

Sanded Down to Sub-Floor














































































































(pillow made by Julie Schuler https://www.etsy.com/shop/mygoodbabushka)
 






































(knothole soap dispenser)

 

 

The Messy Process

































 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More to Follow as I Finish Other Rooms

25 comments:

  1. holy crap, but you've been busy. i love the light fixtures especially, and the love you've put into this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, rraine. I especially like the things I make from nature too.

      Delete
    2. the clarity of your vision continues to remind me that it is possible. does the vision happen all at once, or is it an ongoing evolutionary process?

      Delete
  2. Good work Mom! We have had so many good times here and I look forward to many more memorable times in this renovated kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are in the 'before' picture of the kitchen. Hopefully, I'll have more time to do fun things with the family now that I'm almost through.

      Delete
  3. Just AMAZING! You have such a talent for taking things and seeing what it can become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice what came around. I keep saying I would like to do this, but the mess has held me back. The hutch you made reminded me of a piece that was the only cabinets in my first house.I discarded it and a friend refinished it finding treasure under all the layers of paint. Nice to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My problem is I see treasures in EVERYTHING.

      Delete
  5. Nice redo. Like the Velveeta soap dispenser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the Velveeta box is holding napkins on top of the shelf above the kitchen sink which I made from a rough slice of wood. It's just a coincidence that the soap dispenser fit through a knothole. I like it too.

      Delete
  6. You are nothing short of amazing. I am in awe of your skill and vision. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting ideas, but sometimes I run out of steam.

      Delete
    2. Marie, did you notice the cute bicycle glasses in my cupboard?

      Delete
  7. Kass, this all looks amazing! Wow!

    I wanted to let you know I had to move my blog, the new address for now is www.alannaklapp.wordpress.com. Hope you'll visit me there! :)

    Hope everything else is well! Talk soon and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your new blog. It looks great.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kass, really appreciate you stopping by! Have a great week!

      Delete
  8. This is really great. Everything looks so homey and welcoming. Good to find you here again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Good to be somewhat back.

      Delete
  9. Kass, you've made that place so light and airy. I love the nature touches, the bannister made from a log! And the bathroom shelf with the soap dispenser knothole. I liked seeing the before and after pics, the stories each layer told. It's a privilege to see the journey your house has taken. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. It's been gruesome, but rewarding.

      Delete
  10. I love it, Kass! I am so impressed. What a huge undertaking and what a marvelously inviting space you've created.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the finished product...but hate that messy middle part. I am a poor project person. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maria, the messy part is daunting.

      Delete
  12. I love the finished product

    ReplyDelete

It's nice to know you've stopped by. Thanks.